The house was built as an inn between 1752 and 1755 by Alexander MacDonald VII of Glenaladale who was wounded at Culloden (1746) fighting for Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie).
Later it became a tenant farmer’s dwelling and remained as such until 1842. About that time the proprietor, Angus MacDonald XII of Glenaladale, converted the old building into a mansion house by heightening the walls and the ceilings and enlarging the windows to make it into a suitable seat for his family. Soon after this he doubled the size of the building to its present form. He and his successor were very hospitable and kept an open house in the good old Highland style. His brother, Fr. Donald, who built the church, lived in the house for upwards of 30 years, and eventually Col. John Andrew (son of Angus) succeeded in 1870. The Colonel died in 1916 without issue and the house and lands passed out of the family after a period of over 300 years.
The present owners, the MacFarlane family, came to Glenfinnan in 1971 by which time the house was in an advanced state of disrepair. They converted the house into an hotel whilst attempting to retain as much of its old character as possible.